In certain situations, you may want to create a task directly within a chat room, but with all the details and information normally included when you create a task from elsewhere. In this case, rather than sending a task as a message, you can click the Task button right under the text box, to gain full access for more complex assignments.
Note: Similar to how forms work, creating a task directly within a chat room will restrict you to only assigning that task to a member of that same group. If you are discussing a required task, but want to assign it to someone else, the Recents tab task creation method may work best.
From a Chat Room on Mobile
- While viewing the relevant chat room, tap the ‘task’ icon located under the text box. It should look like a small check mark in a circle.
- In the bubble that pops up, type in the task title to add one to your task, then tap the small ‘person’ icon to select one or multiple colleagues from the directory to assign it to.
Note: On mobile, all people in the group will be automatically attached to the task, and you will be restricted from adding outside members to it. In a 1-1 you will be restricted to only those two members, whereas making a task in a chat room will allow you to assign the task to anybody in that group.
- Next, you can tap Create to finish your task creation, or tap the ‘details’ icon to access a larger bubble where you can add in more details. Here, you can add in:
- A description for your task.
- A due date.
- Any tags you want to use to identify the task.
- A checklist feature for multi-step tasks.
- A priority level.
- Any image attachments you think would add necessary detail.
- Finally, there is a Create button right in the details area for finalizing it.
From a Chat Room on Web/Desktop
- While viewing the relevant chat room, click the ‘task’ icon located under the text box. It should look like a small check mark in a circle.
Note: On web/desktop, you will have to manually assign people to the task. In a 1-1 you will be restricted to only those two members, whereas making a task in a chat room will allow you to assign the task to anybody in that group.
- A bubble will pop up for you to fill in all the necessary details for your task. You can include a title and description, as well as add a due date, assignees, a priority level, a checklist, tags, and any attachments.
- Once you’re satisfied with your task, simply click the Create Task button to finish it up.
Great! Now you can set up complex tasks on the fly, without leaving your chats.